Importance of Fibre Rich Food for a Healthy Life
A balanced diet is essential for growth and development and overall health. The importance of fibre in our diet is equally important though many don’t realize this. The term fibre refers to the carbohydrates from plants which are not digested at all. Yet, fibre rich food needs to be part of our diet.
The Right Balance of high fibre food:
The fibre content in food occurs in two forms, soluble and insoluble. Most of the fibre rich food from plants contains both. Soluble fibre turns to gel in the stomach and slows digestion. Insoluble fibre remains unchanged during the whole digestive process.
If our food lacks the daily dose of fibre, we may experience constipation that makes the bowel movements painful and uncomfortable. It can also make it difficult to control our blood sugar and appetite. This leads to overeating and weight gain.
However, if we take in too much of fibre rich food, the food moves too fast through the intestines. In this process, the required minerals may not get absorbed. We may also suffer from bloating, cramps and other gastric problems. This implies that we must take in the right quantity of high fibre food. Nutrition experts suggest 38 grams of fibre for men under 50 and 25 grams for women. In simple terms, a young man is expected to take in every day the amount of fibre that is present in 15 slices of whole-wheat bread.
Source and range of high fibre food:
Some of the food items of plant origin that are rich in fibres are:
- Cereals, pasta, bran flakes, oats, barley and rye of the whole grain form.
- Fruits like pears, avocados, berries and oranges
- Vegetables like artichokes, Brussels Sprouts, broccoli and sweet corn
- Different types of Peas, beans. lentils and pulses
- Potatoes with skin
- Nuts, especially highly beneficial almonds.
Almonds contribute to weight management as the fibre rich nuts provide a sense of satiety and stop us from over eating. Thus all that we need to do is to have a small helping of almonds daily since it makes a smart snack option. This along with a regular workout will keep us healthy and robust.
Benefits of Fibre rich food:
- Prevent constipation and ensure Efficient and smooth bowel movements
- Slow digestion helps to lower cholesterol and blood glucose
- Reduce the risk of stroke, hypertension, and heart disease, bowel cancer and type 2 diabetes
- Prevent weight gain and improve weight maintenance.
- Increase the good bacteria in the gut.
Fibre rich food is essential part a balanced and healthy diet. If we ignore this important health principle, we may have to pay a heavy price. Including the right quantity of high fibre food can ensure total health and well-being. More details can be gathered from www.almonds.in